Your Name (optional): Pat Richards
Job: Public Health Nurse
Company (Optional): York Region Health Services
p>Community Service Organization: YMarkham – Unionville Rotary Club
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.Sc.N.) or Bachelor of Arts in Nursing (B.A. Nursing)-RN
Training/experience required (years, other jobs):
- can apply after B.Sc.N./ B.A. Nursing
- Master’s degree is helpful, but not required
- experience with young children, counseling, education, health promotion, change management, program planning & development, community assessment/ community development or administration is helpful
Explain what you do:
Provide phone & in-person contact to families/ caregivers of preschool children, to promote their optimal health, growth & development, by providing assessment, information, education, counseling & support, and linking with community resources.
Why should kids choose your career path?
- very personally satisfying work
- a great way to be involved in your community
- expanding knowledge about the significance of investing in the early years to promote future physical, mental, emotional & social development
- great variety of work within this area
- offers continual challenges, opportunities, & opportunity to learn & develop your skills
- offers the opportunity to work both independently & with a large team of other public health nurses & service providers
- there is a large & growing demand for qualified people in this area
- positions available part-time & full-time, & in all communities across Ontario
- work is suited to accommodating the needs of one’s family, at all stages of life
- emphasis on healthy lifestyle & promoting growth & development has tremendous personal benefits
- opportunities for ongoing continuous learning while on the job
- opportunities also are available to progress to a management/ administrative position if desired
What would you recommend career wise and how should kids approach/develop their preparation for a working life?
- suitable for beginning & experienced practitioners
- include a placement in public health during your education
- contact your local Public Health Department for more information
- a Master’s degree in Nursing, Health Science, or Education is useful, but not necessary- can be earned part-time while working in this area
Lessons learned:If you started all over again what would you do differently?
A favorite anecdote, phrase, or expression relating to business that inspires you:
Every child deserves the opportunity to develop to his/ her full potential.
Other suggestions or relevant information you would communicate to kids regarding careers in general:
Talk to numerous people working in the area & observe them on the job if possible, in order to decide if that career suits you.
Choose a career that you find personally satisfying, because you will probably spend more of your time at it than at anything else.
Leave as many doors open as possible in your education & experience, as you will likely change jobs numerous times.
Try to choose a career that offers a variety of different options, so that you can change & expand your knowledge & opportunities, as the field develops.
Research the future trends predicted in that career, so that you choose a career with expanding opportunities.